Cover Crazy: Possession by Elana Johnson

Hosted by The Book Worms


It's such a simple cover and not, at the same time. I'm guessing it's all about symbolism.

Butterflies stand for different things depending on the culture. The Ancient Greek word for butterfly means soul or mind. In Japan, they represent a person's soul, but most people see them as a symbol for rebirth or freedom.

Ice symbolizes the barrier between the conscious and unconscious mind. In dreams, it suggests lacking a flow of ideas and thoughts and that you are not seeing any progress in your life. Alternatively, it means you may be feeling emotionally paralysed or rigid and need to let your feelings be known.

And if you wanted to go a step further, you could analyse the shades of blue on the butterfly.

Goodreads | Amazon

11 comments:

  1. I love the cover and can't wait for the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that cover. You're right, it is simple and then yet not so simple. I'll have to check this book out. Here's my Cover Crazy. Now following!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Fallen too and it was no where near as good as the cover was beautiful. I have seen Wither and it is on my March Debut Author to read list. I think it is really pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this cover - even more since reading your cover analysis. Very perceptive. I think of the ice as being two things - a preserver and a container.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a beautiful cover and I love when they're symbolic too! I definitely see the butterfly as something meant to be free yet it's trapped behind the ice, like it can see the outside world but is powerless to do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this cover. It is just simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful cover! I will have to add the book to my wish list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your breakdown of the symbolism! Very nicely done. Such contrasts between the meaning of the butterfly and the meaning of the ice. I'm curious to see how this conflict plays out in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for being crazy about my cover! I love your analysis, and I hope you enjoy POSSESSION.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this cover! I also really enjoyed your analysis. The ice cube is an interesting touch.

    Reading Lark's Cover Crazy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!!! that is so cool! It saddens me to think a beautiful butterfly is stuck inside that ice cube, though. That pictures seems to hold so much symbolism. Im curious what this book is about now.

    Here is our cover crazy:
    http://evesfangarden.com/blog/2011/02/21/cover-crazy-3

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...