Rachel Vincent's Blood Bound Excerpt

“You really think that’s the best way to start this working relationship?”

“Nope.” I dropped into my chair and pulled open the bottom right hand drawer, pawing through the contents as I spoke. “If you wanna work with someone else, I fully support your decision.” In fact, that was the only way I could get out of a direct request from Anne.

“You’re not going to get rid of me again, Liv. Unless you have a new vanishing act you’d like to try out.”

My fingers brushed smooth glass beneath a tangle of holster straps and receipts I’d really meant to file, and I pulled out a half-empty bottle of cheap whiskey. The shot glass in my pencil drawer had eraser shavings in it, so I tapped it upside down on my desk until they fell out, then poured myself a shot.

I threw it back and closed my eyes, half-wishing the alcohol still burned. I’d tried drinking before my weekly report to Cavazos once, and once was all it took. Turns out I don’t really want to be relaxed around him after all.

“What’s wrong with you?” Cam demanded, sinking onto the couch with his elbows on his knees.

“I had a rough morning, and based on your presence in my office, my afternoon isn’t looking much better.”

His blue eyes narrowed in anger, and I had to swallow my own regret before it surfaced as an apology—I couldn’t afford to let him in again. “When did you turn into such a bitch?” he growled, and my urge to apologize dried up and blew away.

“About a year and a half ago.” I poured another shot and pushed the bottle toward him.

Instead of taking it, he watched me slowly turn the shot I’d poured for myself, staring down at the contents. “Are you going to be like this the whole time?” he asked.

“Nope. Sometimes I’ll be irritable and unpleasant.” I downed the shot and reached for the bottle again, but he pulled it out of my reach.

Cam tilted the bottle to read the label, then set it on the desk again with a disgusted look. “I guess you really don’t work for Cavazos. He pays better than this.”

“What, you’re too good for my whiskey?”

“Yeah, and so are you. When this is over, I’ll buy you a real drink.” His arched brows were a challenge, but his eyes were serious, and so was the question he hadn’t really asked.

“I might let you. Because I like whiskey.”



This is a scene between the two main characters, Olivia Warren and Cam Caballero, told from her perceptive in Rachel Vincent's upcoming adult series, Unbound. If you want to know more about it, read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...