In My Mailbox (5)

Hosted by The Story Siren


Wither by Lauren DeStefano
Release Date: March 22, 2011
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Series: The Chemical Garden
Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository

What if you knew exactly when you would die?

Thanks to modern science, every human being has become a ticking genetic time bomb—males only live to age twenty-five, and females only live to age twenty. In this bleak landscape, young girls are kidnapped and forced into polygamous marriages to keep the population from dying out.

When sixteen-year-old Rhine Ellery is taken by the Gatherers to become a bride, she enters a world of wealth and privilege. Despite her husband Linden's genuine love for her, and a tenuous trust among her sister wives, Rhine has one purpose: to escape—to find her twin brother and go home.

But Rhine has more to contend with than losing her freedom. Linden's eccentric father is bent on finding an antidote to the genetic virus that is getting closer to taking his son, even if it means collecting corpses in order to test his experiments. With the help of Gabriel, a servant Rhine is growing dangerously attracted to, Rhine attempts to break free, in the limited time she has left.

Lately a lot of books are available before the release date. If I wasn't on a self-imposed book-ban I could of gotten this at least two weeks ago. I'm still banning myself from buying book, but forgot about it long enough to go online and order this book. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

The Survivor by Sean Slater
Release Date: March 3, 2011
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Series: Jacob Striker
Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository

Columbine. Dunblane. Virginia Tech. Winnenden. But Saint Patrick's High?

In his first hour back from a six-month leave of absence, Detective Jacob Striker's day quickly turns into a nightmare. He is barely on scene five minutes at his daughter's high school when he encounters an Active Shooter situation. Three men wearing hockey masks - Black, White, and Red - have stormed the school with firearms and are killing indiscriminately.

Striker takes immediate action. Within minutes, two of the gunmen are dead and Striker is close to ending the violence.

But the last gunman, Red Mask, does something unexpected. He runs up to his fallen comrade, racks the shotgun, and unloads five rounds into the man, obliterating his face and hands. Before Striker can react, Red Mask flees - and escapes.

Against the clock, Striker investigates the killings for which there is no known motive and no known suspect. Soon his investigation takes him to darker places, and he realizes that everything at Saint Patrick's High is not as it appears. The closer he gets to the truth, the more dangerous his world becomes. Until Striker himself is in the line of fire.

And the violence follows him home.

I got this ARC after signing up for Book Chick City's 2011 Mystery and Suspense Challenge. Thank you to them and Simon & Schuster UK.

I've been reading a lot of crime/mystery books since the year started, but this will be my first that doesn't have any elements of romance.

Sean Slater is a Vancouver Police Officer. He has investigated everything from frauds and extortions to homicides. This is his debut novel and the first in the Jacob Striker series.

7 comments:

  1. I've heard a lot of great things about Wither. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to pu Wither on my TBR list. It really sounds like it will be a good book.

    http://justnookit.blogspot.com/2011/03/in-my-mailbox-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh, let me know what you think about Wither! I want to read it, but then I don't want to read it... lol!

    Let me know when you hear back from SS and NG! I've got my fingers and toes crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm jelous you read Wither! I also hear great things about it. Great books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great books. Wither looks good!
    Happy reading.
    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/03/in-my-mailbox-11.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wither is supposed to be great.

    Here are mine:

    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2011/03/this-week-has-been-good-one-received.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wither is worth breaking a book ban over. *approves*

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...