Sweet Valley Confidential by Francine Pascal

Sweet Valley Confidential by Francine Pascal
Release Date: May 29, 2011
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository

Ten years after graduating from Sweet Valley High, the Wakefield twins have had a falling-out of epic proportions. When Jessica commits a complete and utter betrayal, Elizabeth flees to New York to escape the pain and immerse herself in her lifelong dream of becoming a journalist.

Jessica remains in California, dealing with the fallout of her heart-wrenching choices. She has a career she loves and lots of old friends, but misses her sister, her oldest friend. With Jessica as her enemy, Sweet Valley is no longer the idyllic town of their youth.

Jessica longs for forgiveness, but Elizabeth can't forget her twin's duplicity. She decides the only way to heal her broken heart is to get revenge. Always the "good" twin, Elizabeth is now about to turn the tables....

I pretty much knew what I was going to write about fifty pages into the story and I've been dreading it and trying to figure out how to sugar-coat it. I didn't enjoy this book at all. My favourite part was the excerpt I read online, I type while cringing.

This book's potential readers are those who read the Sweet Valley High series when they were younger and are looking forward to seeing how the twins have grown and mature. I didn't read the series, but it wouldn't surprise me if the characters haven't changed much since then. For most of the story I felt like I was reading about kids and not people in their late 20s/early 30s. The word "like" was on every other page, if not every page. The only thing missing was the "totally" that usually comes after it. It wasn't just that which made them seem immature, but their behaviour and attitude.

I knew when I starting this that Jessica had done something to hurt Elizabeth and that they weren't speaking to each other, but I never knew and what I got to see through glimpses into their past was that she has been vicious to her all their lives. She is selfish and conceited and only does something if there is something in it for her. She hates that everybody prefers Elizabeth, but why wouldn't they since she's not the devil reincarnated. Okay, that was very harsh, but it just shows you how much I didn't like her.

I always try to finish a book that I've started, but I didn't want to continue reading and had to flip through the last chapters. The ending and how everything just fell into place so easily was too unrealistic to me, just like a lot of events in the whole book are. Why do the people who hurt somebody they claim to love so much get the best HEA?

1 comment:

  1. This is why I'm so afraid to read this! I LOVED the originals back when (and yes, Jess was always selfish, though I think I didn't notice as much then...then again, Liz was always my fave!). I've heard so many mixed things about this...and I heard what it was Jess did and just...MEH.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...