"Waiting On" Wednesday: Awaken

Hosted by Breaking The Spine


Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky
Release Date: May 23, 2011
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin BFC
Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository

Maddie lives in a world where everything is done on the computer. Whether it’s to go to school or on a date, people don’t venture out of their home. There’s really no need. For the most part, Maddie’s okay with the solitary, digital life—until she meets Justin. Justin likes being with people. He enjoys the physical closeness of face-to-face interactions. People aren’t meant to be alone, he tells her.

Suddenly, Maddie feels something awakening inside her—a feeling that maybe there is a different, better way to live. But with society and her parents telling her otherwise, Maddie is going to have to learn to stand up for herself if she wants to change the path her life is taking.

In this not-so-brave new world, two young people struggle to carve out their own space.

What I love about this book is that I can imagine the world it's set in being reality. There isn't much you can't do if you have internet access. You can shop for anything from groceries to a TV, meet people and go to college online. Apart from medical treatment, if you really wanted to you'd never have to leave your house again. A little creepy now that I'm imagining how empty the roads and malls would be. I'm really looking forward to reading this.

What are you waiting for? Post a link and I'll check it out.

6 comments:

  1. This book is aweeeesome! I hope you love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this books sounds really interesting. I too can imagine the world now becoming like the one in the novel in the very near future. great pick! :)

    please check out my WoW this week.

    -michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a really interesting read.
    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/04/waiting-on-wednesday-14.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard really good things about this book, and I cannot wait to read it! Here is my Wow pick for this week. Make sure to check out my giveaway of The Restorer while you are there :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for introducing me to this book. It sounds great and the cover fits that "trapped mood". Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read some good reviews of this. The concept has me a *little* dubious, which is why I haven't looked into getting it, but I'm curious to see what people have to say.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...