On My Wishlist (13)

Hosted by Book Chick City


The Jumbee by Pamela Keyes
Release Date: October 14, 2010
Publisher: Dial
Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository

When Esti Legard starts theater school on Cariba, she's determined to step out of the shadow of her late father, a famous Shakespearean actor. But on an island rife with superstition, Esti can't escape the darkness. In the black of the theater, an alluring phantom voice known only as Alan becomes her brilliant drama tutor, while in the light of day Esti struggles to resist her magnetic attraction to Rafe, the local bad boy. Toppled sets, frightening rumors of jumbee ghosts, and brewing tropical storms culminate in a tantalizingly spooky finale where romance sizzles and truths are unmasked.

I came across this book not too long ago. I grew up in the Caribbean knowing about Jumbies. Montserrat (my island), Antigua (where I lived) are some of the islands the folklore comes from. They're ghosts or spirits of the dead. There are so many times I remember playing outside and then I'd hear somebody calling me. Even though I wasn't sure who it was I'd just assume it was mother since she was the only one at home. When I found her and asked why she called me she'd usually reply more often than not, "Not me. Jumbie ah fool you." You'd think as a kid I'd be scared, but that was the norm for me. There is also a dance which is done during ceremonies for the Jumbies to possess humans. I don't know anybody who does that or why anybody would want to. They also supposedly have the ability to shape-shift. Should be an interesting read for me.

On the Fringe by Courtney King Walker
Release Date: October 19, 2011
Publisher: Lands Atlantic Publishing, LLC
Goodreads | Amazon | B&N

Claire is struggling to overcome the murder of her childhood friend and secret crush, Daniel. Everyone else seems to be moving on with their lives, but she's still trying to cope. The fact that she finds herself alone and drowning on her 16th birthday isn't helping.

Neither is thinking she sees Daniel's face in the murky water as she mysteriously resurfaces. But something happened during those four and a half minutes that will make her realize it was not just her imagination.

As Claire and Daniel try to grasp a possible reconnection, other grudge-holding beings have plans of their own. Now, the two of them have to decide if their fleeting relationship is worth the possibility of Claire being trapped on the fringe forever.

Graveminder by Melissa Marr
Release Date: May 17, 2011
Publisher: William Morrow
Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository

Three sips to mind the dead . . .

Rebekkah Barrow never forgot the attention her grandmother Maylene bestowed upon the dead of Claysville, the small town where Bek spent her adolescence. There wasn't a funeral that Maylene didn't attend, and at each one Rebekkah watched as Maylene performed the same unusual ritual: She took three sips from a silver flask and spoke the words "Sleep well, and stay where I put you."

Now Maylene is dead, and Bek must go back to the place she left a decade earlier. She soon discovers that Claysville is not just the sleepy town she remembers, and that Maylene had good reason for her odd traditions. It turns out that in Claysville the worlds of the living and the dead are dangerously connected; beneath the town lies a shadowy, lawless land ruled by the enigmatic Charles, aka Mr. D. If the dead are not properly cared for, they will come back to satiate themselves with food, drink, and stories from the land of the living. Only the Graveminder, by tradition a Barrow woman, and her Undertaker—in this case Byron Montgomery, with whom Bek shares a complicated past—can set things right once the dead begin to walk.

Although she is still grieving for Maylene, Rebekkah will soon find that she has more than a funeral to attend to in Claysville, and that what awaits her may be far worse: dark secrets, a centuries-old bargain, a romance that still haunts her, and a frightening new responsibility—to stop a monster and put the dead to rest where they belong.

Branded by Keary Taylor
Release Date: March 4, 2010
Publisher: Createspace
Series: Fall of Angels
Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository

Jessica's had the nightmares for as long as she can remember. Nightmares of being judged for people who have died, of being branded by the angels. Her friends and family think she's a crazy because of it all. Yet she carries the mark of the condemned, seared into the back of her neck, and hides it and herself away from the world.

But when two men she can't ignore enter her life everything changes, including the nightmares. The two of them couldn't be more different. She will do anything to be with one of them. Even tell him the truth about angels, why she never sleeps, and the scar on the back of her neck. But one of the two has set events into motion what will puller her toward her own judgment and turn her into the object of her greatest fear.

7 comments:

  1. "On the fringe" sounds and looks great. Love the cover for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Graveminder sounds like a great book, good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Graveminder on my wishlist too.
    Branded seems like it would be a great read too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just picked up Graveminder from the library and I am chomping at the bit to read it. The cover to On The Fringe is great and I'm adding it to my wishlist as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO tempted to get Graveminder for my Nook. Our library hasn't gotten hardly any new books in this year. I really want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Jumbee and Graveminder look awesome! Great picks.

    I'm a new follower, your blog is so pretty! Here's my wishlist: http://aturnofpage.blogspot.com/2011/05/on-my-wishlist-no-3.html. Have a lovely Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This week I actually crossed more wishes off my list than I added. Come see what I've read.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...