Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini
Release Date: May 31, 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen
Series: Starcrossed
Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository

How do you defy destiny?

Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.

As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.

I don't know where to start. I'm still trying to get my head around everything that happens – which is a lot. This isn't the type of book that you just enjoy, finish and move on from – it keeps you thinking, analysing everything that happened and anticipating how the story will continue.

I really enjoyed how Josephine Angelini took Greek mythology and turned it into a contemporary story. There is a lot to ancient literature and while I was looking forward to what it could bring, I was afraid I might get caught up in remembering all the facts instead of enjoying the story. It couldn't of been easy bringing the modern and ancient together, but it is wonderfully written and made the union seem effortless.

Helen is so sweet, shy, unnaturally strong, fast, intelligence and "turn your head" gorgeous. She hates the attention she gets and just wants to stay under everybody's radar. All you want to do is protect her, which is one of many reason why I love her best friend, Claire. They have know each other since they were babies and Claire isn't afraid to say whatever she thinks and stand up for Helen without ever being asked. Lucas has all the same attributes as Helen except he's very comfortable with who and what he is, but not in an obnoxious way.

I love all the characters and how each of them have clear personalities and important roles in the story that make them stand on there own instead of just existing for the sake of supporting the main characters.

I'll admit that while a lot of people think about the story of Helen and Paris as an epic romance, I thought they were two of the most selfish people in history. So can you explain to me why I'm hoping that despite what will happen if Helen and Lucas end up together, I'm suddenly rooting for them, damning the consequences?

This is a brilliant and captivating adventure with drama, romance and action that keeps you on edge and will leave you greedy for more. I can't believe this is Josephine Angelini's or as I now think of her after reading Starcrossed – Moirae's debut. Where has she been hiding! Probably on an island south of Cape Code, Massachusetts or Olympia.

Moirae: often called The Fates (Clotho, Lachesis, and Atropos). The goddesses, who controlled the destiny of everyone, by weaving with the thread of life.

7 comments:

  1. Great review! This one looks so good. I'll have to get it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book so much! I really need to write about it soon lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I can't believe this is Josephine Angelini's or as I now think of her after reading Starcrossed – Moirae's debut. Where has she been hiding! Probably on an island south of Cape Code, Massachusetts or Olympia."

    LOL I love it! Thanks, Petra!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh, so want to read this! It looks amazing!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful review! I am so very glad you enjoyed this book! It's definitely one of my favorite reads of the year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! Starcrossed will be one of my next reads:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the review! I think I should buy one, too. Kiven

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...