Author Interview: Sherry Soule

Could you introduce yourself?


Yep. I am the author of a new young adult series about magick, romance, witches, and demon slaying.

What's Beautifully Broken about? How did you come up with the idea for it?


I’ve always had a morbid fascination with haunted houses and ghosts. I love all things supernatural, and I knew the market was flooded with vampires, fairies, and werewolves, so I decided to make my heroine a sassy witch. Because witches need love too!

The story ARC took a different twist once I decided to add magick to my plot. And it was super fun. The story came alive and I found my “voice.” Shiloh Ravenwolf is my (younger) alter ego. On her father’s side, she comes from a long line of shaman, which are intermediaries between the human and the spirit world. (I am a quarter American Indian, myself.)

On her mother's side, Shiloh is a descendant of heritage witches who studied the craft and embraced their own version of the Wicca. In my Spellbound Series, the narrative is loosely based on the actual Wiccan Religion; however, I have taken certain liberties with the portrayal of real witchcraft purely for entertainment purposes.

As a result of adding a magickal theme, I wanted my main characters to live in a spooky town, which gave birth to the idea of the setting: Whispering Pines, California near Muir Woods. A foggy, cursed town full of secrets was the perfect place to set my story. I also have a blog devoted to its haunted history.

Are there any songs that could describe the atmosphere, feel or specific events in Beautifully Broken?

I listened to this track on YouTube numerous times while writing the spookier scenes.


Beautifully Broken is part of the Spellbound Series. How many books are in the series?

So far, I have written three more books in the series. I’m hoping to publish the next book by October 2011. I’m having a “Pick-a-Title” contest on my blog, if anyone wants to hop over there and pick their favorite sequel title.

What are your favorite novels?

Once a Witch by Carolyn MacCullough. The Iron Hunt by Marjorie M. Liu. ANYTHING written by YA author, Rachel Vincent

Are you working on anything now? Can you tell us a little bit about it?

No. Just doing a two-month blog tour at the moment. No time at the moment to write.



What books are on your reading pile right now?

Too many to count! LOL But today I’m starting on The Forest of Hands And Teeth by Carrie Ryan. Just finished Elle Jasper’s brilliant debut novel, Afterlight. I read every day for at least two hours before I go to sleep.



What do you like most about being a writer?
Creating stories. Staying in my PJs all day. Getting to do what I love.


What's your favorite...?



Color? Turquoise blue (at the moment)
Artist/Band?
 Linkin Park

Movie? 
Insidious and Let Me In (at the moment)

Fragrance? 
Apples

Season?
 Fall/Autumn

Holiday? Christmas

Food?
 BBQ chicken pizza—yum!

Animal?
 Cats rule!

Flower? Daisy

Find Sherry Soule
Website | Blog | Goodreads | Twitter | Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...