City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Release Date: March 27, 2007
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Series: The Mortal Instruments
Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder — much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Clary knows she should call the police, but it's hard to explain a murder when the body disappears into thin air and the murderers are invisible to everyone but Clary.

Equally startled by her ability to see them, the murderers explain themselves as Shadowhunters: a secret tribe of warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. Within twenty-four hours, Clary's mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a grotesque demon.

But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know....

After stalling so long for reasons I don't even know, I finally read it.

I liked Clary and at first thought she was going to be another typical protagonist – then she surprised me. Yes, she is very sweet, but she speaks her mind. Some of my favourite scenes are the quips with her and Jace. I've become so use to the girl agreeing with everything the main male characters says and being so infatuated with him. I was reminded how much of the norm that usually is when Clary didn't fit into that category. She is attracted to Jace, but doesn't let that attraction influence her.

"Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt," she told him.
"I can't help it. I use my rapier wit to hide my inner pain."
"Your pain will be outer soon if you don't get out of traffic. Are you trying to get run over by a cab?"
"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "We could never get a cab easily in this neighborhood."

I know everybody loves Jace, but I'm on still on the fence when it comes to him. I do like that he's not Mr. Perfect. He speaks his mind just like Clary, but the big difference is that it comes out really harsh. There are already hints that underneath that very cocky exterior there is something more. I guess I'll have to keep reading to find out.

The story went in a completely different direction than I thought it was going. I'm like a chess player when it comes to reading because I'm always thinking ahead to the possible outcomes and can usually guess what's going to happen – definitely not the case this time.

It was an interesting story with a smorgasbord of paranormal creatures and different from a lot of books I've read. I can't say I liked the twist at the end and although I like Clary, I haven't really connected with her or any of the character yet. Despite that I'm looking forward to how this story with elements of fantasy, action, mystery and romance continues.

2 comments:

  1. I just (finally) read this one, too. I really enjoyed it and am on to the next one. I know what you mean, though, about connecting with Clary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this series! The third book is the best, I believe, so you might grow to like the series more in time, I think. Sorry you didn't enjoy the characters!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...