"Waiting On" Wednesday: My Life Next Door



"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.


My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
Release Date: June 14, 2012
Publisher: Dial Books
Goodreads | Amazon | B&N

"One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time."

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, numerous, messy. And every day from her balcony perch, seventeen year old Samantha wishes she was one of them… until the day Jase Garrett climbs her terrace and changes everything.

Jase can sense that his beautiful neighbor is missing something in her sterile home, and as the two fall fiercely in love, his family makes her one of their own.

But when the bottom drops out of Sam's world, which perfect family will save her–and will her perfect love survive?

Set among the haves and have-nots of a coastal New England town, My Life Next Door captures the angst, the heartache, and the raw-nerve emotions of first time love—and biting loss.

Excerpt from My Life Next Door

"Want to walk out to the lighthouse?"

I'm freezing, but I want to go anyway, to go anywhere with Jase, so off we go. The breakwater that leads to the lighthouse is strange, as the rocks are perfectly flat and even until about halfway, then get jagged and off-kilter, so that walking all the way out involves a certain amount of climbing and clinging.

By the time we reach the lighthouse, the evening light has turned from golden to pinkly golden with the sunset. Jase folds his arms on the black pipe metal railing and looks out at the ocean, still studded in the distance with tiny triangles of white, sailboats headed home. It’s all so picturesque that I half expect orchestral chords to swell in the background.

Tracy, my sister, is a pro at these things. She'd do a little stumble and bump up against the boy, looking at him through her lashes. Or she'd shiver and press herself a little closer, as if unconsciously. She'd know exactly what to do to get someone to kiss her just when—and how–she wanted him to.

But I don't have those skills. So I just stand next to Jase, leaning on the rail, watching the sailboats, feeling the heat of his arm resting next to mine. After a few minutes, he turns to look at me. That look of his, unhurried, thoughtful, scanning me over slowly. Are his eyes lingering on my face, my lips? I'm not sure. I want them to. Then he says, "Let's get home. We'll take the car and go somewhere. Alice owes me."

As we clamber back over the rocks, I can't stop wondering what just happened there. I could swear he was looking at me like he wanted to kiss me. What's stopping him? Maybe he isn’t attracted to me at all. Maybe he just wants to be friends. I'm not sure I can pull off being just friends with someone whose clothes I want to rip off.

Did I actually just think that? Oh God. I did.

50 comments:

  1. This book sounds great! I'm definitely adding it to my TBR!!! Thanks for visiting our Teaser Tuesday!!!:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, gosh! Adding this to my TBR! Thanks for introducing me ;)

    Here's my WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok I'm adding this to my tbr, here's mine http://headstuckinabook.blogspot.com/2011/10/waiting-on-wednesday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first encounter with this title and I am definitely adding it to my wish list too. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the first time I see this and THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this. I'm adding this to my to-read list right now! It sounds fantastic!

    Carina

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait for this one either! It sounds like a contemp that I HAVE to get my hands on!

    Thanks for visiting and posting an excerpt!


    Krazyyme @ Young Readers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing such a lovely cover! Love the cover!! It's really cute. I didn't even know about this book if I hadn't stopped by. I'm glad I did. Awesome pick! I just add it to my to-read list. The story sounds great!

    Thank you for stopping by!

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your pick lol! I now also want this book :D

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that sounds wonderful! I love those emotionally powerful reads! Great pick!! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never seen this one before awesome pick!
    Thanks for stopping by @ We Fancy Books :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This teaser is exactly that... such a tease! MY LIFE NEXT DOOR one sounds amazing. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks awesome! *runs to add to TBR*

    Thanks for checking out my WoW this week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh this sounds amazing!!! Going on my wishlist. Havent heard of it before.

    Thanks for stopping by Totally Bookalicious

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw, Love Story, sort of, updated! This sounds really good and the cover is terrific. Must..resist..adding..to...list..

    ReplyDelete
  15. This one sounds interesting. :)

    Thank you for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow you have a gorgeous blog! I'll have to stop by more often for new reads (I see a few I like already).

    This is beautiful cover! Sounds like an emotional rollercoaster of a love story that reminded me a little of the Virgin Suicides, only reversed genders. :-)

    Thanks for dropping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't heard about My Life Next Door until now. It looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gravy this looks so good! Thanks for stopping by my wow:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hadn't heard about this one before, but it does sound good!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like a good contemp read, new to me too!

    Our WOW is at Book Sake.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My Life Next Door sounds really cute! Nice picks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds good! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds really, really good. Putting it on my list. Nice pick!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This one sounds really good, and I hadn't heard about it before. Thanks for spotlighting this one!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ooh this sounds really cute I've never heard of it before.

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  26. this one sounds really good and thanks for the tease! adding it to my to-read list now!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sounds like a good choice, enjoy!

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/10/waiting-on-wednesday_26.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. hm, never heard of it before. Sounds interesting though. Thanks for stopping by! :)

    Livin' Life Through Books

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is my favorite type of book! I hadn't heard of it, but it's definitely on the wishlist now! Great pick :0)

    ReplyDelete
  30. This screams Awwwwww! I love these type of stories, love contemp. romance. This sounds cute and heartwarming, but I hope it's not one of those books that gets you all hyped up on the couple only to end tragically or disappointingly. I'm going to be on the lookout for this. Lovely pick! =D

    -Asher (from Paranormal Indulgence)

    ReplyDelete
  31. thanks for stopping by our blog! and ahh this one looks so cute! i hadn't heard of it before, so thank you so much for bringing it to my attention! definitely adding it to my tbr pile.

    taylor at weneedreads

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for stopping by. I haven't heard of this yet but it sounds great. I am definitely adding this to my list and I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  33. lol, love the excerpt. added to my tbr!

    I follow you! here's my WOW post, I hope you'll stop by and follow me if you haven't already, and let me know what you think of mine!!

    http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/wow-masque-of-red-death.html

    ReplyDelete
  34. Haven't heard of this one, but then I tend to read only paranormals. Hope you love it though when it releases!

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I haven't seen this one. I do looooveee love stories. I'm so adding this!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow this sounds amazing! Can't wait to check it out :)
    Happy reading and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Okay, never heard of this book. Interesting Choice. Another book to add to the TBR pile. Excellent book choice.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Nice pick. I've come across so many I haven't heard of today. This is definitely one I'd like to read.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great choice! This is definitely going on my TBR. Can't wait. Thanks for sharing!

    Thank you for stopping by The Bookish Babes!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thank God I visited your blog! I am so adding this on Goodreads! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi! 'Old' follower here! Thanks for dropping by and commenting on my WOW! I really appreciate it!!

    You know, I prefer to read paranormal romances, but this book sounds like a very romantic, tender read that touches one emotionally at a very deep level...my kind of read as well! The excerpt is so beautiful...sigh... That was a nice idea, by the way -- adding a short excerpt from the book. First time I see this in a WOW post. Love it!!

    So, thanks for helping my TBR grow! Lol.

    Maria @ http://anightsdreamofbooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow! Awesome pick. This sounds like a pretty cool contemporary. I added it to my tbr list. =D

    ReplyDelete
  43. Awww! This one sounds really cute :) I love the cover! Great pick this week!

    ReplyDelete
  44. This sounds like a such a sweet love story. I will have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Oooh thanks for sharing the excerpt!! Makes me want to read this even more :D Sounds awesome, reads awesome and the cover is awesome! Definitely excited for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Ohhhhh, I haven't heard of this one before! It sounds pretty awesome though! Thanks for putting it on my radar, I can't wait to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  47. This sounds amazing, great pick!
    Thanks for stopping by on my blog, happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Wow, I actually really like the sound of this one!!! Thanks for putting it on my radar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  49. Thanks for stopping by, new follower here :) Thank you for your WOW, just added it to by TBR list.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...