Author Interview: Kiera Cass

I'm thrilled to welcome Kiera Cass, author of The Selection to be released April 24, 2012 by HarperTeen. It's the first in a dystopian romance trilogy pitched as The Hunger Games meets The Bachelor. Get a sneak peek on The Selection Series facebook page.


Firstly, congratulations on your 3-book deal with HarperTeen. This must be an exciting time for you. Has it always been your dream to become a writer?

No, actually, the writing thing came later in life. In high school, my great ambition was to be a diva. Literally, if people asked what I was doing next, that was what I'd say. It's probably for the best it didn't work out that way, and I'm very much in love with writing now. I can't believe I get to share at least three books with the world! Love it!

Can you tell us about The Selection?

No. Well, okay, yes. The Selection is about a girl named America and her journey through this competition to become the next princess, a trip she really doesn't want to take.

What inspired the story?

The Selection came from wondering about what ifs in other stories, mainly Esther and Cinderella. I always wondered if Esther ever liked the boy next door and had to let that love die when she was shipped off to compete for the king. Even if she didn't win, she was never going home. And Cinderella only asked for a night off, not a husband, and nothing even close to a crown. So what if they weren't happy? I'm not sure why those two things meshed together in my head, but they did, and I knew I wanted to tell the story of a girl who would catch the eye of a prince, but she wouldn't want him because she was already in love, and that she would go through an experience that was way more than she could have prepared herself for.

If The Selection had a soundtrack, what songs would be on it to describe the atmosphere, actions and feelings?

I'm actually keeping the playlist under wraps for a little bit longer, but it will be up on my website once the book is out. I will tell you the first song on the list is Fairytale by Sara Barielles.


In 2009 you self-published your novel The Siren. Can you talk about how the experiences differ from then and this time around with a publisher?

Oh my gosh, it's two totally different worlds! I'm glad I went through the self-publishing process; it totally made me grasp just how much work it takes to promote yourself, and I appreciated the control I had. But having an agent, an editor, a team to design the cover, and scores of people who know how to make your book as visible as possible... it's amazing. I couldn't go back, that's for sure!

The Selection isn't your only upcoming release. You have a short short in the anthology Brave New Love: 13 Dystopian Tales of Desires. What is your story about?

My story is called In the Clearing, and it's told in alternating perspectives from a girl who lives in a very sheltered, quiet society and a boy who has chosen to live with a small group of outsiders in the woods. I don't want to give anything away. The collection was released February 13th and has tons of other amazing authors in it!

Was it your intention to write The Selection as a dystopian novel or did it organically come to define itself? Why do you think so many people are drawn to dystopians?

Actually, no, the premise came together in the strange way those things do, and then I realized I needed an appropriate backdrop for it. I didn't want to set it in some far off land or in the past, and while I was driving the name Illea came to mind, and that was all it took. I knew that the place America, Aspen, and Maxon lived was a new country named after the man who saved a country that was falling apart, and that place was coming in the future. I think dystopians are fun in the same way paranormal stories are fun. There's just enough reality to relate, but enough of a disconnect to be scared or excited or whatever that particular story is trying to bring out. It just gets you out of the real world for a while.

What are your favourite novels? Of all time and that were released this year?

Ugggghhh! I can never answer this question! I guess I always tell people to read The Book Thief, so we'll leave it at that, but I love so many books it hurts.

A typical day in your life would be…?

Three days a week, Guyden goes to daycare in the morning so I can write, and that has saved me. He's a handful! But the rest of my time is dedicated to playing with the boy, hanging with the hubby, tweeting, and making sure the house doesn't fall apart. It's not so glamorous as I think most people suspect an author's life is. Actually, I'm covered in yogurt a lot.

Are you hoping that readers will take away any specific message from any of your books?

I don't set out to put anything specific in anything I write, but I do think the things that influence me come out at least a little. If people do take anything away, I'd be very curious to know what they find!

Now for a very serious question that might be hard to answer. Many people may not know that your boyfriend is Robert Pattinson. Have you seen him since his last visit in September during your video chat? Are you still together? Because he seems to be getting cosy with a certain female co-star.

Oh Rob... I think he's having a very difficult time confronting his true feelings for me, which is why he's dating other girls and I'm married with 1.5 children. I mean, the man just can't commit, but what can I do? I have a thing for hobos.

Favourite...?

Movie? Probably That Thing You Do or BioDome. Both so quotable!

TV show? Community.

Actor? Rob Pattinson. Obviously.

Actress? Kate Winslet.

Musician? Callaway Cass. That would be my husband, people.

Colour? Purple!


Find Kiera Cass
Website | YouTube | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

15 comments:

  1. I adore Kiera Cass!! I was so lucky to meet her last year at BEA, at the Book Blogger conference during an author speed dating! She was definitely the highlight (besides Lisa McMann who I simply love... ).

    I didn't know your boyfriend is Rob .. I'm not sure of you mean THE Rob Pattinson 'cause, he might me my boyfriend. Not sure what to do now about this.. hm!

    Anyway I'm so looking forward reading The Selection and I loved this cute and fun Interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview I can't wait to read this book! I also have to read The Book Thief soon I've had it for months and everyone says it's amazing! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun interview, although I'm not sure I can read anything by an author whose favorite movie is BioDome. Eeeew. I guess I'll suffer through it since it's been on my wishlist for months. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview! I am really looking forward to checking this book out when it's released!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great interview!!! I loved what Cass said about Cinderella and Esther...What if that wasn't what they wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this interview! Kiera is so personable. Makes me even more excited for The Selection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview! I like how her hubby doesn't get in the way of her love for Rob. I'm sure he'd be happy to step aside, when Rob does finally commit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fab interview! I'm really excited for The Selection, I can't wait to read it. And Community is hilarious! My favourite colour is purple too :P. Thanks for the post :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful interview! I really like the question about the differences between self-pubbing and having a publishing house. I also enjoyed the quick fact round.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great interview! That cover is to die for, and the book is definitely on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great interview! I can't wait to read the book. So excited for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great interview! I love reading how the author compares self-publishing to traditional publishing route! Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely interview. The Selection sounds amazing, and Kiera seems really great. Like a fun person to know as well as to read. Looking forward to the first book in the series!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read your interview detail and its give me good information and also tell us how to answer-less in school interview with confidence thanks for share it personal statement editing .

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...