Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Release Date: Feiwel & Friends
Publisher: January 3, 2012
Series: Lunar Chronicles
Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | The Book Depository

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth's fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She's a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister's illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world's future.

Cinder is cyborg and (cut the niceties) a slave. Her stepmother can't stand her and keeps her around as a source of income, which she makes as a mechanic at New Beijing's weekly market. Iko, an android with a programming error that gives her a lively personality and Peony, one of her stepsisters are her only friends. While removing her too-small foot and waiting for Iko to return with a new replacement she meets Prince Kai. He's looking for the girl everybody says is the best mechanic to fix his android Namsi for so-called sentimental reasons. Cinder's cyborg abilities senses His Imperial Highness isn't being truthful, but any reason why he's lying couldn't be very important. Right?

Cinderella is a cyborg! What isn't cool about that and the possibilities it brings to a very well-known story, which makes it new all over again.

I think I'm one of the few that wasn't a fan of the original Cinderella story as well as a lot of fairy tales as a child, but after reading the synopsis for Cinder I knew I'd love it and I do to the point I wish it was the original story. Personally, I don't see Cinder as a retelling. There are definitely moments you sense what book was the inspiration for the story, but Marissa Meyer has a unique take and doesn't follow the guidelines of the original story, which makes things unpredictable. There is also a lot more suspense and action than the story that inspired it. The fact the relationship between Cinder and Prince Kai is still developing and not instantaneous is another of the differences that I really enjoyed.

Cinder is a fascinating and richly imagined futuristic sci-fi fairy tale and I'm really looking forward to the next book in the Lunar Chronicles series.

10 comments:

  1. When I first read the summary of this one, I didn't even put it onto my to-read list. But when so many incredibly positive reviews started to appear I ordered a copy nonetheless and now I'm dying to read it (hopefully soon). Glad you liked it - your review made me want to pick up my copy immediately. :D

    Carina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should just copypaste your comment. *grin*

      Really great review! :)

      Delete
  2. I've heard tons of great things about this book, so I suppose one of these days I"ll have to break down and read it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you enjoyed CINDER! I agree; my favorite "fairy tale retellings" are the ones that just infuse themes and perhaps characters, but become their own original tale :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! So glad to see that you enjoyed this! I loved Cinder, she was an amazing character. I can't wait to read the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this one just a week ago and I'm still thinking about it. It's an amazingly good book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's awesome that you enjoyed this one as much as I did! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read so many reviews of CINDER and they were all positive. I already put it on my wishlist, but now I really have to get my copy...fast. Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome site you have here.You review a lot of the same books i've liked and disliked, so look forward to books you plan to review in the future.I saw your blog on a blogaholic blog roll.New follower, i look forward to your posts.

    guinandlibertadtomas.blogspot.com

    yamulticulturaljunkie.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really on the fence about this book since I'm not too interested in the whole cyborg scenarios but from your review, I think I'll pick this one up and give it a try!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...