"Waiting On" Wednesday: Because It Is My Blood



"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.


Because It Is My Blood by Gabrielle Zevin
Release Date: September 18, 2012
Publisher: Farrar Straus & Giroux
Series: Birthright
Amazon | B&N | The Book Depository | IndieBound

In a thrilling new novel about a reluctant mobster, Anya tries to shatter the ties that bind — with deadly consequences.

Since her release from Liberty Children's Facility, Anya Balanchine is determined to follow the straight and narrow. Unfortunately, her criminal record is making it hard for her to do that. Plus, all the people in her life have moved on: Natty has skipped two grades at Holy Trinity, Scarlet and Gable seem closer than ever, and even Win is in a new relationship. But when old friends return demanding that certain debts be paid, Anya is thrown right back into the criminal world that she had been determined to escape. It's a journey that will take her across the ocean and straight into the heart of the birthplace of chocolate, where her resolve — and her heart — will be tested as never before.

I really enjoyed All These Things I've Done — the plot, setting and Gabrielle Zevin's writing style. I'm really surprised to hear that Win and Anya aren't together and that he has even moved on — especially after the way All These Things I've Done ended. It doesn't sound like the Win I got to know and really liked. He seemed to be genuinely in love with Anya and she — being a realist and not believing in romance at all — fell for him despite the trouble being in a relationship with Win would cause her and her family. What changed and why is she now apart of the criminal world she tried so hard to distance herself from?

Here's a short excerpt from Because It Is My Blood:

"How is your heart?" Yuji Ono asked by way of greeting.

"Still beating," I told him.

"Simon Green tells me that you wish to leave New York. I think you should go somewhere you can learn the business. Sophia Bitter's family has a cacao farm on the west coast of Mexico. You will be able to take a boat there and the connection to Balanchine Chocolate is not so obvious that anyone will think to look for you."

"Mexico," I said. "I'm a city girl, Yuji."

"Do you trust me, Anya?"

Yes, I decided that I did trust him.

"Then know I do not say this lightly when I tell you that this is where I want you to go. You will be better able to run Balanchine Chocolate someday if you know something about how cacao is grown. And this will make you a superior partner to me. A superior business partner, I mean." He dropped my hand and moved in even closer to me. "Don't be frightened, Anya."

"I'm not." I looked him in the eye. "Nothing frightens me anymore, Yuji."

As if I didn't have enough questions after reading the synopsis. Why doesn't anything frighten her? That must mean something she feared happened. What? Something involving a certain important person in Anya's life comes to mind right away. If it does involve the person I think it could, Anya must be devastated. And I doubt Yuji wants her only as a business partner.

42 comments:

  1. I have the first book, but haven't had time to read it. Too many good books out there. Nice choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the first book yet but I've heard some good things about it. Interesting that chocolate is illegal.
    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read the first book because I've heard some mixed reviews about it but I'm glad you liked it! Donna xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. whoa, that is an AWESOME title. in fact, so awesome I may have to read the first book just so I can read this one. I love the cover for it too! so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AGH I had All These Things I've Done from the library, but wasn't able to get to it before it was due :( I'm so sad since I've heard such great things! Definitely going to try to read it again soon, especially now that I know another book is coming out! Great cover, too.

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read the first book yet, but this series sounds really great, so I might have to make sure to read it later this year. Hope you'll like the second book, too, once you get to read it. (Although I already hate the sound of a couple breaking up and moving on, even though I've never read about them. :D)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heard mixed reviews on it so I still haven't decided if I should read it or not. But great pick anyway!=D

    Thx for dropping by my WoW!=D

    Fara @ Tumbling In Books
    http://tumblinginbooks.blogspot.com/2012/04/waiting-on-7-clues-to-winning-you-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't heard of this one! I really like that cover though!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read the first book, but it didn't wow me. I'm still interested in picking up the second one, though, to find out what happens. Funny how that goes...my curiosity always gets the best of me. :P

    Here's my WoW post. Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds great. I love the cover of the book. Great pick.

    Grace
    Livre De Amour-Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the first time I have heard of this series but it sounds like it would be a good book.. I really like the cover..

    Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my WoW!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I still have to read the first one in the series. Dunno why I haven't yet. *sigh* Glad you liked it and thanks for stopping by my WOW! :)

    Patricia // My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  13. So tempting! I like the sound of the blurb...and I love the cover! Thanks for sharing.

    Here's MY WOW POST

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just knew that I have to come over here to your blog and find another epic up-coming release. This one looks great!

    Aleksandra and her WoW

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book sounds very intriguing. It's my first time seeing this book and author, but I'm adding it to my wishlist now. Great pick!

    Check out my WoW

    ReplyDelete
  16. have not read book1 yet
    but sounds cool

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmmm, I've not heard of this series before. But, it sounds like one I definitely need to check out! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cool cover. This sequel sounds like it raises so many questions since the first one. Liked reading your thoughts on that.

    http://leavemommyalone.blogspot.com/2012/04/waiting-on-wednesday-5-crown-of-embers.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm looking at the cover of this book and I'm thinking that I haven't heard of it. Then I realize who the author is and I get really excited because I didn't realize we're this close to the release of book 2! I really enjoyed All These Things I've Done and I hope the second one is great! Happy reading :) Check out my WOW:

    Crystal @ Elegantly Bound Books

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was reading the synopsis thinking it sounded like it might be like All These Things I've Done, not putting the author's name together with it. DUH. So I guess this is a sequel of sorts? That's yet another one I've got on my shelf to read - I love the mobster angle and although I don't think I'd want to live in a world that rationed chocolate, it sounded great.

    Love your pick, I didn't know this one was coming!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds captivating, enjoy!

    http://tributebooksreviews.blogspot.com/2012/04/waiting-on-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. This does sound interesting!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Dani
    http://paulettespapers.com/?p=1957

    ReplyDelete
  23. I didn't loooove the first one, but I might pick this one up. Sounds intriguing.

    Our WoW is at Book Sake. –Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds good to be a sequel, we always expect to find the characters together :s

    ReplyDelete
  25. This does sound really good. Mobsters?! Definitely intriguing.
    Thanks for stopping by My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  26. I definitely am loving the synopsis for this one and the cover is awesome, too. Have to check the first one out. Thanks for sharing and stopping by my WoW :)

    Jennifer @ Dream Reads

    ReplyDelete
  27. Really great title to a book and one I will add to my list. thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ooo, you had me at mobster. I wasn't impressed with Gabrielle Zevin's earlier books but this series looks great! Thanks for sharing. New follower here. :)
    -Allie

    Check out my wow.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I haven't heard of this or the first one. I am definitely going to have to look into this! Thanks for sharing :)

    MaryAnn
    Chapter by Chapter

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ohh this one does sound good. I need to read book one

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow. Sounds great!!! I can't believe I never heard of book one!!! The colours on the cover are so eye catching! <3

    Thank you for stopping by My WoW This Week

    ReplyDelete
  32. I wasn't a huge fan of the first book, but I'm still thinking I might give this one a try. It sounds like some major things really happened in the book! Although, I'm super disappointed that Anya doesn't end up with Win. I'm curious to see what happened between them. Good choice! =)

    -Aneeqah @ My Not So Real Life

    ReplyDelete
  33. Awesome pick! I haven't seen this one before and am definitely going to put it on my list. I love the drama that goes on in the mob world. Thanks for sharing :)

    Thanks for stopping by,
    @ Livin' Life Through Books

    ReplyDelete
  34. I haven´t read the first book of the series. Yet.
    thanks for sharing.
    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  35. Mobsters?! Eppp! This sounds awesome!

    Thanks for sharing!

    My WoW
    Renae @ Rolling with the Moments

    ReplyDelete
  36. Ok, I hadn't heard of this series before, but now I want to read it! Good thing my library has the first book, All These Things I've Done. I'm going to go definitely check it out soon! Thanks for sharing!

    And thanks for stopping by! :)

    - Kristine @ Book Geek Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is a completely new series to be, but it sounds amazing! Added to my TBR pile!

    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  38. I still haven't manage to read "All These Things I've Done", but hopefully soon! :)

    Monaliz @ Mind Reading?

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great pick! I definitely need to pull All These Things I've Done from the reading pile soon. I'm definitely adding this one to my must-read list. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  40. OMG! OMG!! Petraaaaaaa! I never heard about this book before and now Im totally drooling over it! thnx you so much for sharing!!! my list is growing bigger and bigger!! woohooo!!! =D


    Dazzling Reads

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is one of the books which intrigue me the most now! I've read many positive reviews about it and yours definitely convinced me! Also, seeing that in Italy (my country) it will see the light in an undefined future, I think this is a really good chance.

    regards,
    charmaine of Plumber Burien

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...