"Waiting On" Wednesday: Origin



"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.


Origin by Jessica Khoury
Release Date: September 4, 2012
Publisher: Razorbill
Amazon | B&N | The Book Depository | IndieBound

The jungle hides a girl who cannot die.

Pia has grown up in a secret laboratory hidden deep in the Amazon rainforest. She was raised by a team of scientists who have created her to be the start of a new immortal race. But on the night of her seventeenth birthday, Pia discovers a hole in the electric fence that surrounds her sterile home—and sneaks outside the compound for the first time in her life.

Free in the jungle, Pia meets Eio, a boy from a nearby village. Together, they embark on a race against time to discover the truth about Pia's origin—a truth with deadly consequences that will change their lives forever.

I really like the setting for Origin–a laboratory in the middle of a luscious green rainforest—as well as the mystery of Pia's origin. Usually when there is talk about an "immortal race", vampires come to mind, but the fact that it's something scientific makes it more intriguing. Below is a short excerpt and you can read the first three chapters of Origin here (Pg. 131) as well as other Breathless Reads (Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes, Black City by Elizabeth Richards, Venom by Fiona Paul, The Innocents by Peloquin).

As we walk, he begins telling me all the names of the plants we pass. I already know their names, but I don't tell him that. He seems to think that scientists always want to know the names of things, and so I guess he thinks he's being helpful. Anyway, I like listening to his voice. It's deep and a little hoarse, as if he's been yelling all day, and his accent makes every word sound new and exciting, as if he's speaking another language I don't have to strain to understand. "Here is annatto, for repelling insects and curing snakebites. The girls say it makes a love potion, but I don't believe them. They have all tried it on me, and I don't love any of them."

33 comments:

  1. Aughhh! I am SO wanting to read this one, too. It's not even funny! Great pick for this week. I hear lots of people are getting copies at BEA... *le sigh*

    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Origin sounds interesting, I like the setting, it could be beautiful and a little scary.
    thanks for sharing.
    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh fantastic pick! I really really want this book. It looks AMAZING! I wish it came out sooner! Anyway, great pick and thanks for sharing!! :)

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome pick that I am going to have to check out!


    Thanks for sharing,
    Dani
    My WoW - http://paulettespapers.com/?p=2102

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! Seeing this one around a lot!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok so I saw this a few weeks back and was Oh it will be an ok book. Cover is Eh but SHEESH! I read the blurb and I want it so bad!! Totally great pick!
    Tara's WoW
    And please, check out my AWESOME 500 Tots Giveaway!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! In the Amazon? That's rich. :) I'm from Brazil, so that will probably be good for a few laughs. And I do have this thing for dystopias, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am also waiting for this one! It looks and sounds so beautiful!!! Great choice! Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh this one sounds interesting. I'm intrigued. Great pick :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes, please! I have seen this before and it currently resides on my mount TBR. Thanks for sharing, and the teaser as well!

    Here is our WOW.

    Diana @ BookVenturers

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm doing my best not to think of what people are picking up at BEA (green is so ugly on me), but okay, I'll be a little green if they're getting this one. ;) I'm really looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This does sound good! I'm a fan of secret laboratories and survivalist stories. Awesome pick! Thanks for featuring it. :)

    And thanks for stopping my my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds really intriguing. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ~Danica Page
    Taking It One Page at a Time

    ReplyDelete
  14. i'm really intrigued by this one! great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  15. First time I've heard of this but definitely sounds interesting! I'm adding this to my to-read list (: Great pick!

    - Kim
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds really interesting. Great pick!
    Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've seen a few glimpses of this book, but that teaser is amazing! Love it! Great WoW pick! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We have the same WOW pick this week!! I haven't seen that excerpt before though, and now I'm even more excited to read Origin! I seriously can't wait. =) Fabulous pick!!

    -Aneeqah @ My Not So Real Life [My Wow Post]

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow that sounds super interesting! It kind of reminds me of Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood, at least the "perfect" beings that were engineered in that story. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds like a really great book! I've never heard of it, but it's definitely going on my TBR list. Thanks for sharing!

    -Raechel @ Backwood Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, very intriguing! This is a new book to me, but I'll definitely have to add it to my TBR list! It sounds awesome! Great pick!

    Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    Lisa @ Lost in Literature

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really liked that excerpt! That book sounds great!!!

    My Wow

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have not heard of that, it sounds fantastic!! I love how you have included the excerpt :) Thanks for that x

    ReplyDelete
  24. This one looks very interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have this one on my pile too. I can't wait for it! Great pick.

    Shannon
    Readergirl Reviews a Teen Book

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can't wait to read this, even more so after reading that excerpt! Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, the cover is gorgeous and the story sounds...epic! No other word for that! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great pick! I don't think I have this one on my to-read list yet. :) Thanks for sharing, Petra!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Origin is on my list as well. It sounds pretty great!

    ReplyDelete
  30. wow this sounds like an awesome read, hey petra **New Follower**
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm hoping to read this one too. Hope internet issues are sorted out soon.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  32. Awesome pick :D Cannot wait to read this book. <3 Sounds awesome ;)
    Thank you for commenting on my WoW. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...