"Waiting On" Wednesday: The Winner's Curse



"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.


The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski
Release Date: March 4, 2014
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux
Series: The Winner's Trilogy
Amazon | B&N | The Book Depository | IndieBound

Winning what you want may cost you everything you love

As a general's daughter in a vast empire that revels in war and enslaves those it conquers, seventeen-year-old Kestrel has two choices: she can join the military or get married. But Kestrel has other intentions. One day, she is startled to find a kindred spirit in a young slave up for auction. Arin's eyes seem to defy everything and everyone. Following her instinct, Kestrel buys him—with unexpected consequences. It's not long before she has to hide her growing love for Arin. But he, too, has a secret, and Kestrel quickly learns that the price she paid for a fellow human is much higher than she ever could have imagined.

Set in a richly imagined new world, The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski is a story of deadly games where everything is at stake, and the gamble is whether you will keep your head or lose your heart.

I'll admit that I'm not generally drawn to historical ficition, but I pre-ordered this as soon as it was possible after reading the synopsis. On top of the premise intriguing me right away, I loved Rutkoski's The Shadow Society and her Tor.Com Original story, Jacks and Queens at the Green Mill,which is set in the same world as The Shadow Society. You can read it for FREE here.

Click here for links to online retailers where you can pre-order chapters 1 - 5 of The Winner's Curse—available on December 17. Until then, enjoy the short excerpt below.

"But…you are my friend." His expression changed, though not in a way Kestrel could read. "Just tell me what's wrong, Arin. Tell me the truth."
When he spoke, his voice was raw. "You own me. How can you believe I'll tell you the truth? Why would I?"
The parasol trembled in Kestrel's grip. She opened her mouth to speak, yet realized that if she did, she wouldn’t be able to control what she said.
"I will tell you something you can trust is true." Arin's eyes held hers. "We are not friends."
Kestrel swallowed. "You're right," she whispered. "We're not."

6 comments:

  1. Great Choice! Thanks for sharing. Check out our WOW

    Nahomi @ Books & Swoons

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have preordered the 5 first chapters and can't wait to read them! I'll probably end up preordering the full book after that! That cover is so so SO gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot wait to read this book! It's one of my most anticipated reads for next year. And the cover is pretty gorgeous too. :) Nice pick, Petra!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous cover -- have not heard of this author before but I will be checking this book out!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really cool and unique pick! I haven't heard of it before so thanks for sharing. It sounds fantastic!

    Mary @ Mary Had a Little Book Blog
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...